Wednesday, April 23, 2008

emblem

grave emblem

This was on someone's grave (?) at the mausoleum. Many people buried (?) there have weird symbols like this above their names. The Freemason and Daughters of the American Revolution ones are easy to figure out, but so many of them are a mystery to me. I guess it isn't normal to join weird societies anymore - you mostly see these on the graves of people who were alive in the first half of the 20th century. I wonder why we stopped doing that. I'm guessing it's the baby boomers' fault. I wish I knew what this one meant. More to the point, I wish there was a search engine where you could upload images of anything - bugs, symbols, flags, minerals, and it would tell you what it was. How useful and terrifying would that be?

2 comments:

Greg Stewart said...

Wow, a search engine like that would be frightening.

But, to your post, if my guess is correct, the symbol in your image is fairly simple. It looks to me like it is an Oddfellows member, and if it is a woman's marker, the R is for the female order of Odd Fellows called Rebekahs.

More on the Odd Fellows:
http://www.ioof.org/

and on Rebekahs:
http://www.ioof.org/rebekahs.htm

Just my guess.

Wax Harlow said...

Wow! Fairly simple, indeed. You have really expanded my knowledge here. Thanks guy!